History

This beautiful Regency mansion was built for John Britten Berne in the early 1800’s and began its life as Holly House, named partly from the vigorous growth of holly noticeable on the high plateau. In 1815 the surrounding parkland was planted out and an avenue of oak was created and named Waterloo Walk to commemorate the victory at the Battle of Waterloo.

In 1839 the mansion became the family home of John and Emily Davis. In the 1840’s John Davis built the clock tower as an observatory. The clock itself was made by Dent who also made the famous ‘Big Ben’. John had a distinguished career as Chief Superintendent of Trade and Commander in Chief and Governor of Hong Kong and in 1845, when he was created a baronet, he chose the title Sir John Davis of Hollywood and renamed the estate Hollywood Tower. The estate remained in the family until 1908 when Sir George White, a Bristol born businessman and entrepreneur bought the estate as a wedding give for his son, George Stanley White, and his new wife Kate.

George became known as Sir Stanley White on his father’s death in 1916 and continued his father’s work in the transport industry and, when he became MD of the Bristol and Colonial Aeroplane Company in 1911, the skies over the estate soon became the backdrop for some historical air displays.